This month we have Janavi Nagla, who sent in her soft and luscious pretzel recipe that she mastered during the lockdown. It has basic ingredients and is easy peasy to make, without stressing in your kitchen. With festivities and the cold winter season around the corner, these warm buttery pretzels would be your perfect company!
• All-purpose flour – 3 cups
• Lukewarm water – Around 1 Cup, or as required to knead the dough
• 1½ tsp yeast
• 2tsp sugar
• 2 tbsp butter
•1/2 cup baking soda
• Butter/egg wash for brushing the pretzels
1. In a mixing bowl, add the lukewarm water, yeast & sugar. Mix it well & set it aside for 5 minutes.
2. Then add the all-purpose flour & salt. Knead it for about 10-15 mins or until its soft. Add the butter & knead it for another 5 mins.
3. In another bowl, brush some oil & place the dough to rest for about 3-4 hours.
4. After resting, it’s time to shape the dough. Divide the dough into small equal portions & shape them into pretzels.
5. In a saucepan, add 4-5 cups of water & the baking soda. Boil it for 5 mins.
6. Place the pretzels one by one for exactly 30 seconds in this boiling water.
7. Take them out from the saucepan & place it on a baking sheet. Brush some butter or egg
wash & sprinkle sea some salt.
8. Bake it at 200°C for 10- 15 mins. After baking brush some more butter.
9. Serve them with a hot cup of coffee for breakfast or with marinara sauce as an evening snack.