Granny’s Kitchen offers our readers the perfect opportunity to discover those memorable recipes handed down by our beloved Grannies!
This month we have Ayman Ali Khan sharing the Trifle Pudding recipe, a childhood favourite dessert, that her grandmother would often prepare. We suggest you take note of this age-old favourite recipe and share some pictures with us. We would love to feature it on our Instagram page with your name tagged!
For the Vanilla Sponge:
* 2 cups flour
* 4 eggs
* 1 cup sugar
* ¾ cup oil
* 2 tsp baking powder
* ½ cup milk
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven at 180 C.
2. In a bowl add the flour and baking powder, mix them well using a wooden spoon.
3. In a separate bowl add sugar and oil. Then mix them well until the mixture looks light and fluffy.
4. To the sugar-oil mixture, add eggs one at a time and the vanilla extract and mix again.
5. Add in half the dry ingredients and mix gently using a wooden spoon.
6. Add the milk to the batter and mix in gently. Now add the leftover dry ingredients and combine until the batter has no large flour pockets.
7. Transfer the batter into a cake pan lined with parchment paper. Bake @180C for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
8. Cut the cake into small square pieces to arrange at the bottom of your trifle dish.
For the Jelly & Custard
Follow the instructions on your instant Jelly and Custard mix packs
-Take a big sized glass/borosil bowl so the lovely colours of the dessert can steal the limelight.
-layer sponge cake squares and sprinkle a little milk to moisten it.
-follow with a layer of thick chilled custard.
-lay down squares of jelly on top of the custard.
-put another layer of custard on top of the jelly crystals.
-top the dessert with tinned fruits of your choice. Syrupy pineapples and strawberries make for an aesthetic and yum crowning glory but feel free to experiment!